- University of Michigan, MSW Policy and Planning
- Brandeis University, BA Sociology
- Human Rights for Kids, Board Member
- Judicial Nominating Committee for State of Vermont, Commissioner
- Parallel Justice Commission, City of Burlington, Vermont, Commissioner
- ACLU-Vermont, Former Board Member
- Fletcher Allen Health Care, Former Board Member
- Vermont Children’s Forum, Former Board Member
- Michigan Coalition for Juvenile Justice Reform, Former Co-Chair
- Michigan Coalition for Children and Families, Former Chair
- Vermont Committee for Child, Adolescent, and Family Mental Health, Former Governor Appointed Member
- City of Ann Arbor Human Rights Commission, Commissioner
Barbara Rachelson has over 40 years’ experience helping nonprofits to grow, diversify their funding, and develop programs to deliver on their mission more effectively. She has a lengthy record of finding and writing winning (federal, state, and local government funds; as well as United Way, corporate, private and family foundation grants) that brought in millions of dollars to support general operating expenses, new and expanded programs, capital, and equipment purchases, building purchases and renovations; as well as capacity building, and demonstration projects.
Barbara has 33 years of experience as an executive director at three statewide nonprofit organizations: the Epilepsy Foundation of Vermont, Lund Family Center, and the Michigan Network of Runaway, Homeless, and Youth Services. She was the Director of Outpatient Services at the Counseling Service of Addison County (a designated mental health and substance use treatment program); Director of Program Development at Spectrum Youth Services; and the Program Director of Detroit Transit Alternatives’ runaway youth shelter. Barbara has served as a grant reviewer and peer monitor for the federal government.